Unlike many environmental charities, CPRE has no vested interests – we own no land, rely solely on donations and grants, and are politically independent.
We want to see a protected countryside, but within the context of a healthier economy and a happier community, and we don’t think they are mutually exclusive. CPRE believes that people have the right to enjoy a protected countryside, and we have the ambition to make it happen.
The CPRE Vision pictures a countryside in 2026 that is used and valued by all as a national asset, helping create a healthier, less stressed nation where people are in tune with the environment and aware of their impact on it. This vision includes:
- Better planning to ensure we reinvigorate towns and cities.
- New life in the countryside empowered rural communities themselves.
Protecting local food sources.
- Enhancing our landscapes allowing nature to become a barrier to climate change.
- Green energy working in harmony with the landscape.
- Changing attitudes and helping people to value the beauty, tranquillity, green spaces and local distinctiveness of the countryside and making quality of life and well-being as important as financial prosperity and economic growth.